Sunday, October 7, 2007

Feast of Love **** (out of 5)

Addy and I went to see Feast of Love at the Thursday Moms’ showing this week. It has some old favorites (Morgan Freeman, Greg Kinnear, Selma Blair, Missi Pyle) and several newcomers too.

The movie follows several couples through 18 months in their lives – through beginnings of love, endings of love, and the good the bad and the ugly of love. The couples’ lives intertwine and are all held together by the fatherly advice handed down by Freeman’s character.

Freeman is, of course, good in this movie (when isn’t he good?) and Kinnear plays the loveable and affable doof that he also plays in so many of his roles. He, like most of the other characters, is simply trying to find a place in this crazy world.

Selma Blair was almost forgotten (though she still played an integral part in the movie – just more in spirit than in character). Missi Pyle didn’t get enough screen time which is sad because she’s funny just by being. But then again, it really wasn’t that type of a movie.

The movie didn't really end – I was left with the feeling that life just continued for the characters after the credits started to roll. But that was fitting. I wasn’t upset that I didn’t get my resolution tied up with a bow as I am with some movies that just fade to black.

The show was rather explicit (that R rating allows more than it used to), and I thought it was unnecessarily so. Maybe I’m just getting stodgy in my old age though.

All in all, it was a pretty good movie, but I think that it is probably going to be pretty forgettable. I don’t know that I left with more than “love like it’s the last day of your life”. It’s good advice, no doubt, but I think that the movie was going for more than that… or trying to say it more poignantly at least. Still, it was a pretty good chick flick and a fun way to spend a couple hours. (I should mention that Addy slept on me for about an hour of it – which would have made any movie good, but I don’t think that swayed my opinion here – too much at least). =)

No comments: