Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Great tips

So, I'm not really an 'email forwarder', but I saw these tips posted recently and thought that they were really useful. Plus, I thought that maybe if I posted something here, I would get back in the habit!

1. REHEATING REFRIGERATED BREAD
To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in a microwave with a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food moist and help it reheat faster. (Note: I always put a paper towel around the bread that I put in the microwave and it seems to keep the bread moist too.)

2. NEWSPAPER WEEDS AWAY
Start putting in your plants, work the nutrients in your soil. Wet newspapers put layers around the plants overlapping as you go cover with mulch and forget about weeds. Weeds will get hrough some gardening plastic they will not get through wet newspapers.

3. BROKEN GLASS
Use a wet cotton ball or Q-tip to pick up the small shards of glass you can't see easily.

4. NO MORE MOSQUITOES
Place a dryer sheet in your pocket. It will keep the mosquitoes away.

5. SQUIRRELS AWAY
To keep squirrels from eating your plants sprinkle your plants with cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper doesn't hurt the plant and the squirrels won't come near it.

6. REDUCING STATIC CLING
Pin a small safety pin to the seam of your slip and you will not have a clingy skirt or dress. Same thing works with slacks that cling when wearing panty-hose. Place pin in seam of slacks and -- TA DA! -- static is gone. (Note: I'm so excited to try this one. I'm skeptical, but hopeful!)

7. MEASURING CUPS
Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water. Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient, such as peanut butter, and watch how easily it comes right out.

8. REOPENING ENVELOPES
If you seal an envelope and then realize you forgot to include something inside, just place your sealed envelope in the freezer for an hour or two. Viola! It unseals easily. (Note: I always forget to put something in the envelope. I'm so glad that I no longer have to rip and tape!!)

9. CLOTHES DRYER LINT SCREEN BUILD-UP
Check your lint filter every few months... not for lint, but for fabric softener buildup. Even if the filter looks clean, run water through it. If water doesn't run through freely, wash the filter with hot soapy water and a nylon brush (an old toothbrush works very well). This will increase the life of your dryer and can also lower electric bills. Plus, you're less likely to have a fire in your laundry room! (Note: I tried this - we've had our dryer for about three years and have never washed the filter (though I clean the lint out after every load). To my surprise there was very little water getting through. I washed it and we're back in business. And it may be wishful thinking, but it seems like the clothes are drying faster since I washed the screen!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

To unclog drains, pour 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of baking soda down the drain. Follow with boiling water. Don't use sink for a couple hours.

When cleaning the refrigerator, use a cloth moistened with white vinegar. It leaves a clean, fresh scent and helps prevent mildew.

To chase away burned food odors, boil lemon slices or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for a few minutes.

I've got a ton of these! A lot of them work, some are questionable. These, however, work! I have some for kitties and babies too if you want some suggestions. :o)

Melanie said...

I would love them! Thanks! =)

Anonymous said...

So blondie, I am really curious about the safety pin in the seam of pants / slip to keep the static away. Have you tried it yet?
Colette

Melanie said...

Ha! I haven't yet tried it! I have a pair of pants to try it in tomorrow. I'll let you know!

Hanson Crew said...

These are all very helpful :0) - thanks so much!