Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter and the end

Adam finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows less than 15 hours after it arrived via Special UPS Delivery (in a special Harry Potter box for Muggles no less) yesterday morning. And now he’s driving me crazy. He knows things. He knows about the fate of Harry and Lord Voldemort and Ron and Hermione too. He wants to tell me, but he doesn’t want to tell me. I want to know but I don’t want to know… and so it goes.

I started reading Harry Potter right after I moved to Seattle. I would read during my lunch hours. Harry and I grew rather close over Wendy’s hamburgers in the shadows of all of the tall downtown buildings. I was surprised that I could be so taken over an 11 year old – special though he was in his own world. I was though – I was ensorcelled… one might even say bewitched. =)

There were only three books published at the time that I started and I couldn’t wait for the fourth. I devoured that one right after it came out. I tore into the fifth book and about 50 pages in, I got busy with other things, and I never found my way back. (Hard to believe, I know). Six went rather unnoticed by me. There was hype surrounding the release – I remember that, but I had lost that mad-Harry love somewhere along the way. I heard about some of the secrets (how could I not?), but after I learned of them, I figured I really didn’t need to read the rest of the (dare I say) filler.

Ok, ok, the chastising can stop now. I know that I am in the minority with my views and I can now say that I have seen the error of my ways. Our family went to see the fifth movie a couple weeks ago and I realized that I was wrong about the story that I couldn’t see my way through a couple years ago.

I’m starting the sixth book tonight, with hopes to finish the seventh in the next few days. After all, these books promise magic, romance, intrigue and mystery. So, Harry, I guess it’s safe to say that we’ve come a long way (well you’ve probably come farther than I have), but progress has been made on my side too. So – on to the end, my friend. Though a little late to the party, I’ll be there. Thanks in advance for a fantastic ride.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I re-read #5 before the movie came out. I re-read #6 last week just finishing on Friday night. I read #7 cover to cover yesterday. I loved it! I think Fred is in your shoes right now. I keep mentioning it, but he wants to read for himself. To him and you, I say, Read fast so I can talk! :o)

Hoban Family said...

I am starting #7 tonight. I don't think I can sit down for that long!

Anonymous said...

always enjoy reading my favorite columnist!

Melanie said...

Awww... thanks!!! You made my day. =)