Monday, July 30, 2007

Sweet dreams

I must have had too much rumbling around in my head last night as I drifted off to sleep because I had three bad dreams.

Maybe it had to do with what we were watching on TV before we went to bed. Or maybe it was just the luck of the draw. I woke up after each dream and tried to think about happy things – honestly, I tried thinking about anything other than what I had just been dreaming. That’s a little like not thinking about pink elephants though. (You’re thinking about pink elephants now aren’t you?)

I remember when I was little and I would have a bad dream, I would shout “Mom!” out into the darkness of the house. Magically, she would always appear – and that’s how I knew everything was ok. Of course, I was always a little jealous that after she calmed me down, she got to go back to bed with Dad and I was left in my room alone! Even last night, I was glad that I could snuggle up a little closer to Adam.

So it goes, I guess. Windows to the soul or jumbles of events and thoughts from the day – I’m not really sure what they are but in the middle of the night, in the middle of the darkness, dreams become reality. Both Adam and I have woken up, talking to the other – making no sense whatsoever in the real world, but adamantly insisting that sense is being made! =)

This morning, the sun rose and the details of my dreams faded and I wondered what was so scary last night. Just like that, reality was altered and all was right with the world again. It’s kind of crazy when you stop and think about it. C’est la vie, I guess.

But still, maybe just tonight, I’ll read one of Addy’s ‘happy ending’ story books before I shut off the light.

No comments: