Monday, January 19, 2009

Nighttime worries

Though my car radio, for the most part, has been taken over by Edward the Tap-Dancing Elephant and Winnie the Pooh songs, I did actually manage to listen to a little NPR the other night. And the weirdist thing happened - Adam and I were on the radio (you can hear it here - it's about 9:17 in). Ok, it wasn't really us, but it might as well have been.

M: "I can't hear Addy and Kennedy."
A: "They're sleeping."
M: "Do you think they're ok?"
A: "Yes."
M: "Are you sure?"
A: "Yes."
M: "How can you know?"
A: "Didn't you just check on them 15 minutes ago?"
M: "Yes."
A: "Were they ok then?"
M: "Yes."
A: "Well then they're ok."
M: "Ok..."
A: (rolling over and turing off the light) "Goodnight."
M: "You know, I think I'm going to go check once more..." (leaving bed)

So, this isn't a conversation that we have every night, but we probably have some varation of it once a week or so. Are they too warm? Too cold? Sleeping too long? Not long enough? Eating enough? Too much? I'm good at worrying when it comes to the girls. Try as I might to keep it from happening, it happens. Thank goodness Adam is more common sensical about these situations (not to mention patient enough to put up with me!).

Maybe some day, I'll get over the worrying part of motherhood...

or maybe not. But it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

2 comments:

Life With the Hobans said...

You are so not alone. I think once a week one of our kids sleeps a little longer than normal or doesn't eat as much as they normally do I think, what's wrong! I think all Mothers do that because we know the habits and rituals of our kids, and sometimes forget they are constantly changing!

Jamie said...

You are definitely not alone! Leevi is almost 8 years old now and I still check on him (and Raquel & Aaron) one last time before I go to bed every night. . . to be sure they're steal breathing. I mean, it may sound crazy, but you never know! I think as parents we will always worry - there's always something to worry about. I know my parents still worry about me and my brothers. It's just in our nature. But ya know what? For all that worrying, I think we all turned out okay. And so will our kids.