Monday, August 6, 2007

I bought it on ebay

I have been looking for a specific type of outfit for Addy’s 6 month pictures – and having no luck. I didn’t want to spend a lot of time looking in stores and I didn’t want to spend a lot of money either. Then someone suggested ebay. So, ‘what the heck?’, I thought.

That’s when it started. I typed in a search and got hundreds of results. Many outfits were new with tags still attached and most were priced very cheaply. So I bid on one and started looking through the other clothes that were offered. There were thousands of listings of baby clothes – new and cheap (much cheaper than in the stores, even with shipping). This clearly could become a dangerous place for the serious bargain shopper… I realize that I’m walking on thin ice.

As I’ve started watching auctions, I see that there’s definitely a method to the madness in order to actually pick up the bargains. I’ve seen a couple of auctions where the bids far surpassed the value of the item. It’s exciting to start bidding, and bidding wars raise adrenaline. That, combined with the time counting down to the end of the auction can create a bidding frenzy. I guess that is what all auctions are about – virtual and in person. Ebay is not for the weak willed. I wonder if it’s not for the super competitive either! =)

When I was five years old, my grandparents sold their farm and all of their equipment at a large auction. My parents and I went to Minnesota to be there for the sale. I was completely fascinated by the auctioneer. I remember asking my Dad if he was a human (in my five year old mind, I thought that he might be a robot). As my Dad answered, he told me to not point (as I had done when I asked my question) because I didn’t want to make a bid accidentally. Things were pretty crazy that day and in all of the commotion, I suppose that a blonde haired little girl could have made a bid – committing her Dad or Mom to purchase a tractor or a combine – something that neither parent needed or wanted. The crazy thing about it though, is that after watching ebay a little while, I would venture a guess that some people could have done that all by themselves as well – without a daughter in tow.

After my week watching auctions, I expect that buyers’ remorse runs rampant on ebay… But, I guess it could be worse – the buyer can become the seller pretty easily and start the ‘circle of ebay’ all over again. =)

1 comment:

Hanson Crew said...

I am a huge bargain shopper too and tried ebay for some time. There is an art to winning and bidding at the very last minute. The shipping always killed me so I got addicted to craigslist. But my all time favorites are still thrift stores and garage sales :)