Monday, August 27, 2007

Scary movies

I don't really have a movie review for the week... we rented several and while they were alright, they weren't really anything to 'write home about'. Ha! =) I've posted my star ratings (out of 5) and brief synopses of some of them below. All of these movies are scary movies - though I must say they scared me in different ways.

Rosemary's Baby **
I had never seen this before, but I have quite an issue with the ending of this movie - it poses quite the conundrum I think. Unconditional love vs. evil. I don't like the ending at all. Who comes up with these ideas?

Keeping Mum **
This is a British 'comedy' (at least I guess that's probably how it would be categorized). It has big names - Rowan Atkinson, Maggie Smith and Patrick Swayze. It's definitely odd. It can only be said that this movie is 'light-hearted' because it's not real.

The Ice Storm *
So I'm not sure how it happened, but a friend and I rented this movie in high school. It has a star heavy cast (though I don't know how many of them were stars in the late 1990s) - Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Joan Allen, Toby Maguire, Elijah Wood, Christina Ricci, Katie Holmes... I remember that I just didn't get the movie back then. That coupled with the fact that didn't remember much of it made me want to watch it again now to see if I missed something the first time. Turns out that I didn't miss anything - this is a horrible movie. It's very dark - along the lines of American Beauty and depressing and awful. I don't know what we were thinking when we rented it 10 years ago... or two days ago.

Here's hoping for a better (and lighter) group of movies this week!

No comments: