Monday, August 13, 2007

Memories

Addy is almost six months old. Watching her grow and learn is so much fun and incredibly amazing. It seems like she is able to do something new every day now. It’s so hard for me to believe that she’ll never remember this important time in her life.

Adam and I were talking last night about our first memories and also the first time that we actually remember what daily life was like. If we’re any indication of when conscious memory sets in, Addy still has a way to go before she starts doing things that she’ll ever remember.

There are tidbits that I remember from early childhood. My first memory comes from the day before my second birthday – I remember climbing on the kitchen table to stick my fingers into my chocolate birthday cake (with the Big Bird candle). I accomplished my goal too – with one finger. My Mom, hearing the commotion from just up the stairs ran down, and upon seeing her almost two year old daughter with a chocolate finger, perched upon the table cried out “Oh fiddlesticks!”.

I don’t remember anything else that specifically until a few years later. But I do remember being extremely excited about the two pairs of pants that I received probably when I was probably about three. They had back pockets – and that was the height of cool. I’d walk around all day looking for things to put in those back pockets. I’d collect stray strings, small pebbles and who knows what else. It was exciting I tell you.

I think that the next detailed memory that I had took place a couple years later. We were in a hotel (which was incredibly exciting) and I remember as I got ready for bed I realized that I didn’t have my lovey to sleep with. It was a five inch high white kitty atop a small heart pillow – and it was at home. Before I even had a chance to say something about it, my Mom pulled it out of the suitcase. Even at that young age, I remember thinking that I must be pretty special for her to bring that all the way to the hotel for me!

I start to remember daily life around Kindergarten – it’s there that I remember more about how things were, rather than just seeing snapshots in time. But it’s funny to look back at those snapshots from early childhood – I wonder what it was about those specific situations that left such impressions. I’ve heard it said that the first memory influences who a person becomes. That sounds a lot like pop psychology to me… but maybe there’s more to it than I realize.

I wonder what Addy’s first memories will be. I hope that they’re filled with excitement, wonder and love. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. In the meantime though, she’s definitely filling our lives and memories-to-be with those incredible things.

No comments: