Friday, August 3, 2007

The Simpsons Movie *** ½ (out of *****)

We went to see The Simpsons Movie yesterday at the parent/baby screening. Because I had seen a couple scenes (and laughed out loud at them!), I was looking forward to seeing the whole movie. I should probably insert the disclaimer here - I’m not a huge Simpsons fan. Don’t get me wrong, I like the show just fine… it’s just really not ‘have to see TV’ for me.

So anyway, off we went to see the movie. The basic plot: Homer, through his crazy shenanigans, dooms Springfield to quarantine and then annihilation. The family finds their way out of quarantine and moves to Alaska in order to ‘start over’, but soon after hearing that Springfield and all of its residents will be destroyed, go back (sans Homer) to save the town. Homer, with the help of a truth-seer, goes back to try and fix the problem he created, but ends up dooming the town just as it seems like the residents of Springfield are about to save themselves. However, with only seconds to spare, Homer manages another town-saving attempt and is successful. And they all live happily ever after... or at least as happily ever after as the Simpsons can live. Don’t worry – knowing the ending to the story doesn’t ruin anything. Truly, the plot is not the reason to see this movie. =)

There were good moments and I laughed out loud at more than the couple spots that I knew about. It was entertaining for its 86 minutes and I’m glad that we went to see it.

I was excited to see the movie. But yet I still had no real expectations for it. And I think that was good.

So, yay for Homer and the gang. I’m glad that they pulled it out and saved Springfield, Wherever (which is now, we know, obviously not in Alaska).

No comments: