Saturday, August 18, 2007

Stardust ***1/2 (out of *****)

Adam was very excited about this movie (especially since it was made from one of his favorite books), so we went to see it opening day. I didn’t know much about the plot before going to see it but Adam told me to expect it to be a cross between The Princess Bride and The Neverending Story. That’s a good way to explain the feel of it. It’s a fantastic world – with magic and curses and clearly delineated good and evil.

Movies about the fantastic are really hit or miss with me. I go in hoping to be ‘wowed’, but often times I leave disappointed. Adam knows that, but I think that he knew that the storyline would get me on this one. After the movie, he actually said that he felt me go from ‘semi-interested’ to ‘actually-interested’ halfway through the movie. He was right – down to the very scene. It’s the scene where the storyline takes over the movie. I don’t know if that makes sense, but I think that you’ll understand if you see the movie.

Claire Danes was great – she reminded me a lot of Kate Winslet (one of my favorites!) and was not at all angsty (as Adam had feared). Charlie Cox was a good pick for shopboy/explorer, but was more believable as an explorer than a shopboy (which is alright since the movie is really about his exploration). And Robert DeNiro was amusing in a very unusual role for him. The cast was large and, overall, provided some good laughs along the way.

Adam felt the movie stayed as true to the book as possible without confusing the viewer, though he felt that the movie was a bit scattered at times. I have to say I didn’t feel that, but then that may be because I haven’t read the book.

So, I liked the movie. There were some heavier scenes and some unsavory bits, but overall, it didn’t take itself too seriously and it provided a fairytale like feeling for the most part. It was an enjoyable movie that provided several laughs and even some warm fuzzies.

No comments: